Welcome

What works and what doesn't work in software development? For the first 10 years or so of my career, we followed a strict waterfall development model. Then in 2008 we started switching to an agile development model. In 2011 we added DevOps principles and practices. Our product team has also become increasingly global. This blog is about our successes and failures, and what we've learned along the way.



The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions. The comments may not represent my opinions, and certainly do not represent IBM in any way.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Introduction

Welcome to my AgileFall blog! I've been creating software since 1995. I have a Bachelor's of Science in Computer Science from Duke, and a Master's of Science in Computer Science from UNC, where I focused on Distributed Computing and Software Engineering. I studied software enginnering theory, including the waterfall and agile models, in school. For the first 10 years or so of my career at IBM, we followed a strict waterfall development model. Then about 2 years ago we started switching to an agile development model. Our development and support team has also become increasingly global. This blog is about our successes and failures.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ann,

    I would like to thank you very much for sharing your ideas about Agility and I'm sure it will be very helpful for us.

    You already had my comments on LinkedIn.com, but I thought having it here would be better. So, this was my comment:

    "Now, that's very wonderful. I feel everybody has read what is in my mind about agile. I'm just into agile methodology.

    Waterfall Model, the traditional way of delivering software, is becoming useless nowadays. It can be useful only for the companies assigning every phase of the project to different groups through contracting in such a way that every group barely interacts with each other. The consequences, very high cost maintenance! Reasons, phases are not interleaved, not iterative, no increments, changes in earlier phases is not allowed, etc.

    Talking about Agile, I'll leave talking to your blog ;)

    I've just discovered the agile methodology and its power through one question That I would ask you, too:

    What Software Development Methodology can best fit in delivering an open Source Software???

    After doing a little research I found no better than the Agile method!!

    What putting me in confusion is the different agile methods there!
    eXtreme Programming (XP), Scrum, AUP, etc!

    If you could relate the Agile Method with the Open Source Development in one of you upcoming posts, then that would be very much appreciated.

    Starting a blog in such aspect is a great venture!
    Wish you the best in conveying a unique content."


    Best Regards
    Husain

    ReplyDelete